- Participants must be dressed in sportswear (always bring a pile or windproof jacket)
- Hiking boots or tough training shoes
- Rucksack with water (in summer at least 1 litre per person)
- Snacks and energy bars
- Change of vest/T-shirt.
SENTIERO ALPINISTICO CENGIA DEI CONTRABBANDIERI
The Tracciolino is a combined via ferrata and easy climb, a real adventure crossing a sheer rock face!
In a uniquely exposed situation straight above Lago di Garda, it provides a stunning panorama.
The route follows a ledge cutting through the middle of a rock face, once used for smuggling raw materials. As you move along roped together with your guide, the rock face soars up vertically on one side, and on the other drops straight down to the glistening lake far below.
The route has an alternation of difficult sections protected with steel cables, and others where you can walk along this legendary leg.
The Tracciolino, also known as the Cengia dei Contrabbandieri or Smugglers’ Ledge, is dedicated to Massimiliano Torti, a mountaineer and member of the Riva del Garda Alpine Club who died tragically on Mont Blanc.
It is a fabulous route with breath-taking views that gives the impression of being suspended directly above Lake Garda.
Its long history began during the rule of the Austro-Hungarian Empire when a narrow track was developed as the basis for a planned futuristic road that would connect Riva del Garda with Limone sul Garda. The project was abandoned after the outbreak of the First World War. During the conflict it was used by smugglers to transport contraband goods between the states of Italy and Austria. It was rediscovered in the middle of the 1980s by mountaineers from Riva Del Garda and dedicated to Massimiliano Torti in 2000. Many people consider it one of the best outdoor activity adventures during their holidays in Trentino.
This spectacular route is not a normal via ferrata and is instead categorized as a MOUNTAINEERING PATH.
This means that there is no steel cable running along the entire route like a normal via ferrata and for safety it is necessary to use a climbing rope.
As a MOUNTAINEERING PATH it is unique in Europe, even though not particularly difficult. It mostly follows a rock ledge of about a metre in width, natural in some sections and cut into the rock in others. At some points the ledge is interrupted and there are fixed metal cables and steps like a normal via ferrata to facilitate passage.
The thousands of people who have completed this route agree that the form of progression as a MOUNTAINEERING PATH greatly enhances the experience of the Tracciolino. The VALLE DI LEDRO TRENTINOCLIMB Alpine Guides organize EXCURSIONS on multiple days of the week throughout the year. Call our office for information and bookings.
- All technical equipment
- Via ferrata lanyards
- Mountain Guide UIAGM
- Your Alpine Guide will explain how to correctly use the equipment and the techniques required to safely climb the route.
- Be in good health and physical condition
- The Smugglers’ Ledge is suitable for people who do not suffer from vertigo and exposure to great heights (see our other options for the many ferratas with different characteristics).
- The round trip takes about 4 hours, the climbing section is suitable for beginners but you need to be reasonably fit for the approach and return hikes.
- Be capable of walking over uneven ground
- The meeting point is at our base in Pieve di Ledro. (If you are staying along the route between our base and the start of the ferrata we will pick you up on the way).
- Quick check of all necessary equipment.
- Formal acceptance of the activity (the signature of a parent or guardian is required for minors)
- Transport for about 15 minutes to the via ferrata car park
- Gearing up with the equipment provided by the organization
- Technical briefing with your Guides on how to ascend correctly
This is a first step into the vertical world! It could lead on to the famous via ferratas of the Brenta Group, UNESCO World Heritage Site, or an outdoor rock climbing course on one of the many certified sport crags of the DOLOMITI GARDA OUTDOOR PARK.
HOW TO BOOK MY TOUR
Reservations must be made in advance by telephone agreement
- by calling +393477847082 (also WHATSAPP)
- by mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- directly in the office in PIEVE DI LEDRO via Nuova n ° 7 lago di Ledro.
having checked availability with the office, the amount must be paid to our bank account
C / C Mirko Corn Cassa Rurale
Trento IT 38 S 08304 01810 000010081269
- The activity chosen, the name and surname of the group leader
- Name, surname, weight and height for each participant, necessary for the technical equipment
- By sending the receipt of payment
The office will then send you a notification with the booking confirmation: reserved seats, day and time